Still looking for the perfect gift? An email I received from the Authors Guild listed 10 reasons why you should give books to your loved ones this holiday season—and all other occasions!
- Because you want to support your fellow Authors Guild members
- Because they’re way better than fruitcakes
- Because you want to help your favorite author make the New York Times bestseller list
- Because you’re tired of reading the same book to your kid every night
- Because you want to support your local indie bookstore
- Because a book is easier to wrap than a hockey stick
- Because if you send an e-book, you won’t have to wrap anything at all
- Because a paperback is cheaper than seeing the new Star Wars movie in IMAX
- Because that bookcase your friends bought for their new apartment is collecting dust
- Because books contain multitudes and enrich the lives of others
The Authors Guild, founded in 1912, is the oldest and largest professional organization for writers in the United States. The guild is dedicated to supporting and protecting the writing life for all working and aspiring writers. Its advocacy work helps ensure writers have a voice within the publishing industry and on Capitol Hill.
Full disclosure: I’m a member of the Authors Guild.
Read a related story: